The Serbian Government adopted the Decision on appointment of the members of the National Emergency Management Headquarters (NEMH) on its regular session held on 12 May 2011. The inaugural session of NEMH was held on 3 June 2011. The Serbian Government has proclaimed the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction on 24 January 2013. NEMH is acting as the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in the international community.
In accordance with the Law on Emergency Situations, NEMH is an operational and expert governmental body formed with the aim of coordinating and managing protection and rescue activities in emergencies as well as mainstreaming disaster risk reduction policies.
The Chairperson of NEMH is the Minister of Interior (as the Commander) and the Head of Sector for Emergency Management is the Head of National Emergency Management Headquarters. Other members of NEMH are the following:
- ministers responsible for defence; labour, employment and social policy; regional development and local self-government; justice and public administration; health; agriculture, forestry and water management; energy, development and environmental protection; foreign and internal trade and telecommunication; finance and economy; foreign affairs; transport; construction and urbanism; culture and information; natural resources, mining and spatial planning;
- experts from the Ministry of Interior, Serbian Army, Serbian Red Cross and Serbian Mountain Rescue Service;
- directors of the special governmental organisations responsible for seismology, hydrology, meteorology, water management, forestry;
- directors of public companies, business associations and other legal entities, media, humanitarian organisations, citizen associations and other institutions which, based on their portfolio, may be part of protection and rescue system in case of emergency.
NEMH, among other, shall:
- oordinate the activities of all the participants in the protection and rescue system in terms of organization, planning, preparations and implementation of measures and activities related to disaster risk prevention and reduction, protection and rescue, including the exchange of information, knowledge and technologies;
- coordinate activities and measures included in the Serbian National Strategy for Protection and Rescue in Emergencies;
- deliberate and give its opinion on the Draft Long-term Plan of Protection and Rescue System Development;
- monitor and coordinate the implementation of measures included in the Long-term Plan of Protection and Rescue System Development;
- deliberate and give its opinion on the Draft Natural and Other Hazards Vulnerability Assessment of the Republic of Serbia;
- deliberate and give its opinion on the Draft National Emergency Protection and Rescue Plan of the Republic of Serbia;
- take care of regular informing and notifying the population about the risks and threats as well as about the measures aimed at disaster risk reduction;
- cooperate with agencies in charge of protection and rescue in emergencies in neighbouring countries.
NEMH meets three to four times a year on regular sessions, and in case of need, the extraordinary sessions are organised. The activities of NEMH are financed through the budget of the Republic of Serbia and resources of the authorities which are the members of NEMH.
Coordination of the activities in the field of emergency management on national, regional and local level, as well as implementation of disaster risk reduction concept into national and local policies, sustainable development strategies, and protection and rescue strategies.
- In 2009, the Serbian National Assembly adopted the umbrella law, the Law on Emergency Situations which implies the adoption of the set of bylaw acts which define in details the field of emergency management. New legal framework provided the basis for reorganisation of the protection and rescue system and further development of the integrated emergency management system.
- In 2011, the National Assembly adopted the Law on Amendments to the Law on Emergency Situations which paves the way for the implementation of disaster risk reduction concept.
- In 2011, the National Assembly adopted the National Strategy in the field of emergency management and disaster risk reduction. The Action Plan for the implementation of the Strategy is being drafted.
- In 2012, the Ministry of Interior adopted the Guideline on the methodology for vulnerability assessment and emergency plans development. The EU guidelines were consulted in drafting this document.
- During 2012 NEMH held 2 regular and 6 extraordinary session
- In 2014, NEMH coordinated all activities of Emergency situation proclaimed on a national level due to severe floods
READ MORE ON NATIONAL PLATFORM: http://www.preventionweb.net/english/hyogo/national/list/v.php?id=265
National Platform Focal Point
Ministry of Interior
Assistant Minister and Head of Sector
+381 112 282 916 +38 164 892 125 2 (mob)
+381 112 282 911
Contact: Assistant Head of Sector
Phone: +381 112 282 911, +381 648 921 260
Fax: +381 112 282 911